- Be sure to describe the book, explain your perspective, and offer an honest evaluation.
- No strongly negative reviews. The point of this segment of the show will be to recommend books to listeners, either wholeheartedly or with some well-defined hesitation.
- Support your opinions with clear examples from the book.
- Please don’t use direct quotes – Write the Book’s podcast does not have permission to read passages from books.
- Please try to write an engaging piece about the book. Think of your review as a work of art, just as the book it covers is a work of art.
- Please try to stick to what the author accomplished, and not what you wish she or he had accomplished.
- Narrative point of view
- How well does the book flow?
- Are concepts clear? Is the language specific or vague?
- Internal dialogue vs. exterior description and detail
- Cover – does it draw you in? Is it in keeping with the book’s subject, tone or feel?
- Title - What does it suggest?
- 1-2 pages double-spaced, 12-point font.
- Email your review to writethebook [at] gmail [dot] com
- Include reviewed book's title, author, publisher, publication date.
- No spoilers, please, though you may read the publisher’s summary from the cover, if that will help listeners better understand your review.
- Don't review books written by yourself or by friends or family, please.
- I’ll email you to let you know if I’m planning to use what you sent. I'll then ask that you write an email giving me permission to use your review on the show and post it here as a blog entry.
- I’ll credit you for the review on the air and on the website.
- Please be sure to let me know how you want your name read and how to pronounce it, if it’s difficult. So, for example, my name, Shelagh Connor Shapiro, is pronounced SHAY-lah KON-ər Sha-PIE-roh.
- No foul language!
- Use language that will be easy to read on the radio and understand as a listener. This means:
- Short sentences
- Not a lot of commas and clauses
- Subject-verb-object sentences are easiest
Have fun! If you enjoy, listeners will enjoy.